The case of a 2.5-year-old boy who accidentally ingested a 25% sodium chlorite solution was reported. The solution had been recommended to the grandfather as a “bowel cure” by a naturopath. Although the boy tried to spit the solution out again, he was unable to do so or only partially succeeded. Vomiting and diarrhoea soon set in and the child’s condition deteriorated rapidly.
On admission to hospital, a greyish-pale skin colour, lip cyanosis and an oxygen saturation of 67% were already apparent. The child had to be intubated. Blood gas analysis revealed marked methaemoglobinaemia, which was treated with methylene blue and ascorbic acid. Erythrocyte concentrates were also transfused due to haemolytic anaemia. In the oesophagogastroduodenoscopy the next day, the gastric mucosa was completely covered with bloody erosions. Later, aspiration pneumonia was suspected and antibiotics with piperacillin and tazobactam i.v. were administered for five days. After clinical restitution, the child was discharged.
The author added the following comment:
Several health authorities (including in the USA, Switzerland, Canada and the UK) have issued warnings about MMS in recent years and in some cases have also taken specific measures to protect consumers. In July 2012, the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) strongly advised against the consumption and use of MMS.
In February 2015, the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices (BfArM) classified two MMS products as requiring authorisation. These were considered to be so-called presentation drugs because the manufacturer made clear healing promises and stated medicinal purposes. Furthermore, precise dosage information and references to the possibility of severe side effects such as diarrhoea and nausea were given, as well as references to the book “The Breakthrough” by Jim Humble, in which the use and effectiveness of MMS is described for malaria and cancer, for example. This means that the products would have to be authorised as medicinal products and could then only be placed on the market if the pharmaceutical company had proven their efficacy, quality and safety.
In addition, the BfArM categorised both products as questionable medicinal products in accordance with Section 5 of the German Medicinal Products Act because their use is associated with harmful effects that go beyond an acceptable level.
On this blog, we have repeatedly discussed the MMS, e.g.:
- Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) = potentially lethal
- MMS-salesman Andreas Kalcker has been arrested in Argentina
- Beware of the ‘Bleach Boys’ – hydrogen peroxide and chlorine dioxide
I urge everyone who might be tempted to try MMS to think again.