The bad news for German homeopathy just keeps on coming. As I reported, recent events must be depressing for homeopaths, e.g.:
- A recent investigation disclosed that the German homeopathy cult is at the heart of Germany’s anti-vax movement.
- In July 2021, a German court ruled against a homeopathic HCG remedy.
- In 2020, a German study failed to show that homeopathy is cost-effective.
- In 2019, the attempt by a German homeopathy manufacturer to silence critics backfired spectacularly.
- About 10 years ago, 5 German firms clubbed together supporting a journalist at the tune of Euro 30 000/year to defame me (at the time I was one of the few who regularly informed the public about the evidence on homeopathy). The plot was discovered and published whereupon the journalist committed suicide.
After heated debates in the run-up, the Bavarian Medical Association decided yesterday to ditch the postgraduate education program in homeopathy for its doctors. This means that, of the 17 regional medical associations in Germany, 12 have now discontinued their further education efforts in homeopathy. The ones that have not yet done so are:
In the past months, homeopaths had collected 11,597 signatures in favor of maintaining the additional qualification of homeopathy. The ~ 400 doctors in Bavaria, who have acquired ‘homeopathy’ as an additional title, will be permitted to continue to use it.
The spokesperson of the Information Network Homeopathy, Dr. Christian Lübbers, welcomed the decision of the Medical Association. It was a “landslide victory for patient safety”, he said. The Bavarian regional chairman of the German Central Association of Homeopathic Doctors, Dr. Ulf Riker, regretted the outcome of the vote and added: “We will consider legal steps very seriously.” I would advise against such a step which would only render homeopaths more ridiculous than they already are.
Yes, it’s bad news for German homeopaths – very bad news indeed. Of course, homeopathy fans will claim that it is all a sinister conspiracy against them. Sadly, they are unable to realize that the only driving force behind the long-overdue decline of German homeopathy is the evidence: HOMEOPATHY DOES NOT WORK BEYOND PLACEBO and therefore it has no place in the evidence-based medicine of the 21st century.