During the last few days, we were entertained by one of the more fanatical specimen of the lunatic fringe. From the outset, ‘ASTRO’ was out to provoke, insult, and foremost state utter nonsense. Within just a few hours ‘ASTRO’ posted dozens of comments, one more hilarious than the next.
As always, I let it pass for a while because this sort of thing usually is very amusing and mildly instructive. Then, when my fun was over, I told him or her that my conversation with him or her was finished, thereafter I sent ‘ASTRO’ my usual hint to indicate that my patience was wearing thin (an overdose of nonsense, fun, and hilarity might be toxic) and now I have blocked ‘ASTRO’.
This little incident is a mere triviality, of course. Yet, it is also a most welcome reminder to demonstrate what is needed to get blocked by me. Here are a few selected ‘bon mots’ posted by ‘ASTRO’ which all contributed to his or her dismissal from this blog:
- Lenny is an intellectual terrorist
- you manipulate data
- you are nobody in the scientific world
- I’m very sorry for your lack of education
- I don’t hate you for lying, I pity you
- With all sincerity, and seeing that you don’t have a single scientific publication, I recommend that mounts a business for atheists resentful and sell cheap products with the face of Carl Sagan or James Randi in a coffe cup or pins, I assure you that the media will make of your business, earn some money and you’ll be able to publish a book trash like Ben Goldacre, with his “Bad science” or the Steven Novella. Poor quality is a typical sign of skeptical pseudoscientists.
- your “letter to the editor” is based on manipulating data and making false accusations, everything
- you only have an opinion based on your belief and denial that may well be a projection of your lack of knowledge
- I’m disappointed that you have very superficial knowledge, no wonder Mathie will ignore you
- Your comments again reflect that you haven’t the slightest idea
- your lack of reading comprehension is evident
- You are very ignorant
- your aggressiveness and lack of empathy tell a lot about your profile of atheist resentful of life
- these” verdicts ” that Ernst quotes in his pamphlets are at best a fraud
- in reality you, Grams and the team of the anti-homeopathy propaganda network have no idea what you’re talking about
- Ernst,” friend, ” you’re still pretty aggressive, maybe you need some joy in your life. Now I understand why the pseudoscientific skeptical atheist community is so childish and so toxic
- anyone who questions Edzar’s sacred dogmas is a troll
- Thank you for confirming that you are a sectarian
- your obsessive behavior borders on harassment
- Magazines like Skepter are very popular with immature gentlemen who believe they are the world or with teenagers who are just out of college who believe that science is done with whims
- don’t be like Lenny and try to grow up
- real science is in the objective pursuit and not in harassment campaigns orchestrated by a few clowns who believe James Randi is unquestionable
- every time I read your entries I feel sorry that your level of logic is so low and lousy
- Your naivety and superficial knowledge in philosophy of science (and that of most of those who follow you) is very pitiful
- you are the example of a pseudo-sceptic, a rude and cowardly skeptic who can’t tolerate criticism
- your friends are a sect, possibly a group based on coertion
- it doesn’t look like “Lenny” has a single scientific article published, not to mention your colleagues in the “About” section that the few who look like scientists are mediocre in their fields, the rest are small-time activists. No wonder, so much envy, so much anger, so much hatred, that’s what leaves fanatical atheism. They’re talibans of science, not scientists
- you with your age presume a lot and I only see you being interviewed by mainstream media that talk nonsense against homeopathy
- You had to control that aggressiveness, you feel more nervous and angry, maybe you’re a relative of the troll Lenny
- The obsessive behavior of Aust trying to refute Frass already looks like that of a stalker, similar of the journalist Christian Kreil who invented a whole string of nonsense in a German public media trying to link Frass to a questionable company, the media does not even mention Frass’s refutation to Kreil
One thing we cannot accuse ‘ASTRO’ of is that he or she was not industrious. You might ask why I did not stop his aggressive stupidity earlier after it had stopped being funny. Perhaps I should have – but, to be honest, these trolls do amuse me a great deal. More importantly, they might teach us important lessons:
- The fun one can have with fanatics is usually short-lasted.
- Some weirdos are very well misinformed, i.e. they read a lot and misunderstand even more.
- The minds of heavily deluded people are beyond productive discussions.
- Any hope to educate them will be disappointed.
- If we allow them to, they swiftly make themselves ridiculous.
- Their pseudo-arguments are strikingly similar.
- Their aggressiveness can be considerable.
And finally, the little ‘ASTRO’ interlude tells you something else:
It really does need a lot to get banned from my blog.