Orac recently lost his rag over JOHN WEEKS, editor of JCAM (see also here, here, here and here), and was less than appreciative of his recent comments on the Samueli-donation. Personally, I think that this was a bit harsh. To compensate the poor chap for such an injustice, I herewith offer John a place in my ‘Alt Med Hall of Fame’.
There he is in good company:
Deepak Chopra (US entrepreneur)
Cheryl Hawk (US chiropractor)
David Peters (osteopathy, homeopathy, UK)
Nicola Robinson (TCM, UK)
Peter Fisher (homeopathy, UK)
Simon Mills (herbal medicine, UK)
Gustav Dobos (various, Germany)
Claudia Witt (homeopathy, Germany and Switzerland)
George Lewith (acupuncture, UK)
John Licciardone (osteopathy, US)
have all been honoured in the same way.
But John is special!
I have mentioned him several times before (see here, here and here); what makes him special, in my view, is that he is such a shining example of an expert in ‘integrative medicine’. He calls himself a “a writer, speaker, chronicler and organizer whose work in the movement for integrative health” and proudly presents his lifetime achievement award (I urge you to read it – everyone who is anyone in the US quackery-cult pored a little praise over John – but be careful, you might feel acutely nauseous). Towards the end of this document, John adds some self-praise by summarising the many other ‘HONORS’ he has received:
- – For public education, American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (1988)
- – For role in historic regional accreditation of a college of natural health sciences, Bastyr College/now Bastyr University (1989)
- – Commencement speaker, Bastyr College (1989)
- – Honorary Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine, Bastyr University (1992)
- – For service, American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (1993)
- – For service, Washington Mental Health Counselors Association (1995)
- – Commencement speaker, Northwestern Health Sciences University (2010)
- – Honorary Doctor of Laws, National University of Health Sciences (2011)
- – Honorary Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine, Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (2012)
- – Commencement speaker, New York Chiropractic College (2013)
- – Champion of Naturopathic Medicine, American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (2013)
So what? I hear you say, what is so special about that?
I will tell you what is special:
- John is not a doctor,
- John is not a practitioner,
- John is not a scientist,
- John has not published anything that we might call research,
- John has not studied any healthcare-related subject,
- John has, as far as I can see, no real university degree at all.
I find this remarkable and wonderful! It shows us like few other things what to think of the alternative medicine-cult. Not only can truly anyone become president in the US (as the last election has demonstrated); in the US anyone can become a celebrated and honoured champion of alternative medicine as well!
Welcome in my ‘Hall of Fame’ John!