For complete newcomers to this blog, I should preface this post with four statements of fact (evidence to support them can be found in numerous previous posts on this blog or in my book entirely dedicated to homeopathy):
- Homeopathic remedies are usually so highly diluted that they do not contain enough active molecules to have any effect whatsoever.
- The evidence from clinical trials fails to show that homeopathic remedies are more than placebos.
- Boiron is the world’s largest manufacturer of homeopathic remedies.
- Therapeutic claims made for homeopathic remedies are bogus.
BOIRON USA, seem to employ someone who does little else but tweet irresponsible advertisements that mislead and endanger the public. On 5/5/2020, for instance, I saw within a matter of just hours in my Twitter timeline dozens of advertisements by Boiron USA . I copied a few examples:
- Oscillococcinum USA Clinical studies show that Oscillococcinum reduces the duration and severity of flu-like symptoms such as body aches, headache, fever, chills, and fatigue.*
- Boiron USA Ignatia amara relieves a lump in throat, hypersensitivity or intolerance to light, noise, or smells, frequent sighing, difficulty breathing, spasms, & cramps related to stress. It may help those who feel moody or emotional from added #stress. Claim basis: bit.ly/2VaVt0o
And here are four more from 6/5/2020:
- #Homeopathic Sabina relieves profuse and painful periods with red blood clots and pain spreading to the tops of the thighs. Dosage: Dissolve 5 pellets under the tongue 4 times a day. Decrease frequency with improvement. Claim basis: bit.ly/2I1L3sN
- Colocynthis 6C relieves abdominal & menstrual cramps improved by bending over, strong pressure and heat. Dosage: Dissolve 5 pellets under the tongue every 30 minutes. Decrease frequency with improvement. Claim basis: bit.ly/2oMa9RX
- Caulophyllum thalictroides 30C relieves menstrual cramps occurring at the onset of periods, with scanty flow. Dosage: Dissolve 5 pellets under the tongue 4 times a day. Decrease frequency with improvement, Claim basis: bit.ly/2q7Ea2Q
- #Homeopathic Cimicifuga racemosa 6C relieves cramps associated with #PMS and aggravated by cold and humidity. Dosage: Dissolve 5 pellets under the tongue twice a day. Decrease frequency with improvement. Claim basis: bit.ly/2Kj57Yk
(Please do click on the links for ‘claim basis’ and be surprised!)
As far as I can tell, Boiron USA have been doings this sort of thing incessantly since years. Why does someone not stop them? All of these advertisements make claims that are bogus, unethical, and potentially harmful for many consumers. How can this be legal? Should there not be some sort of consumer protection?
But perhaps there is something all of my US readers can do quite effortlessly: on their website, Boiron USA state that they are
committed to providing top-quality products to our customers. Subject to the Terms, Conditions and Limitations below, if within 30 days of purchase, you are not completely satisfied with our medicines for any reason, we’ll give you your money back.
To receive your refund, please send us the following items within 30 days of purchase at the address below:
- Your name, address and telephone number
- The original UPC from the Boiron product purchased
- The original dated cashier register receipt with the purchase price circled
Boiron Information Center
4 Campus Boulevard
Newtown Square, PA 19073
So, how about buying the preparations advertised and then insisting on a refund, if they did not achieve what was promised in their advertisement on Twitter? That might soon stop them misleading the public!