Trump says he never mocked a disabled journalist.
YET THE WHOLE WORLD SAW HIM DO IT!
UK Brexit politicians such as Boris Johnson claim they never promised £ 350 million per week of EU funds for the NHS.
BUT WE ALL SAW THE PICTURES OF THE CAMPAIGN BUS!
These are just two of the numerous, obvious and highly significant lies that we have been told in recent months. In fact, we have heard so many lies recently that some of us seem to be getting used to them. We even have a new term for the phenomenon: the ‘post-truth society’.
Personally I don’t like the word at all: it seems to reflect a tacit acceptance of lies and their legitimisation.
I find it dangerous to put up with falsehoods in that way. And I think the truth is far too valuable to abandon it without a fight. I will therefore continue to call a lie a lie!
And, by Jove, in alternative medicine, we have no shortage of them:
- Homeopaths claiming to be able to treat any condition with their ‘high potency remedies’.
- Chiropractors who claim that spinal manipulation improves health.
- Healers who state that their paranormal healing affects symptoms.
- Alternative practitioners who claim that they treat the root cause of diseases.
- Naturopaths who pretend they can treat childhood conditions.
- Acupuncturists who say that rebalancing yin and yang affects health.
- Alternative practitioners who insist they can detox our bodies.
- Politicians who claim that TCM save lives.
- Slapping therapists who say they can cure diabetes.
- Journalists who publish that Paleo-diet can cure inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Entrepreneurs who promote their unproven products as diabetes cures.
- Academics who teach homeopathy to medical students.
- Homeopaths who claim that their remedies are effective alternatives for vaccinations.
Do I need to go on?
These are not ‘post-truths’ – these are just lies, pure and simple.
We must not be lulled into complacency or false tolerance. Lies are lies, and they are wrong and unethical. In many instances they can even kill. To ignore or accept a steady stream of lies is not a solution; on the contrary, it can easily become part of the problem.
So, let’s continue to call them by their proper name – no matter whether they originate from the dizzy heights of world politics or the low lands of quackery.