The global Homeopathy Product Market has recently been projected to increase by 18.2% during the forecast period 2016-2024. Considering that highly diluted homeopathic remedies are pure placebos, this is remarkable, I think.
But why? Why are consumers spending their money on ineffective treatments?
The answer is probably complex, and there are many factors to explain this puzzling phenomenon. One of them is the constant and clever marketing of homeopathy. This website, [Link disabled by Admin because of suspected malware] for instance, claims that homeopathy can be used for first aid. Below I have copied the remedy in question, the potency best suited, and the conditions to be treated.
START OF QUOTE
1. ARNICA MONT. 30 – bruises, contusions, injuries, shock.
2. HYPERICUM 200 – injuries to parts rich in nerve-supply, laceration, also preventive for tetanus.
3. LEDUM PAL 30-punctured wounds, black eye. Also preventive for tetanus.
4. RHUS TOX 30 – sprains and strains, muscular pains.
5. RUT A GRA V. 30 – bruised periosteum, bones and injury to ligaments.
6. CANTHARIS 30 } for burns
7. URTICA URENS 6 } for burns
8 HEPAR SULPH 200 – septic wounds extremely painful and tender.
9. SILICIA 30 – sepsis.
FEVER, HEADACHE, COLD-DRUGS
1. ACONITE NAP. 30 – sudden high fever with chill, bad effects of fear, shock.
2. ARSENIC ALB 30 – colds, food poisoning.
3. BELLADONNA 30 – high fever, sunstroke, earache,
4. BRYONIA ALB. 30 – fever with cold, biliousness and constipation.
5. GELSEMIUM 30•-high fever with chill, influenza, cold.
6. PULSATILLA 30 – for cold, indigestion, after fatty food.
1 CARBO VEG. 30 – flatulence and indigestion.
2. CHAMOMILLA 30 – teething children with various troubles.
3. CINA 30 – worms
4. COFFF A 30 – sleeplessness 5. GLONOINE 6 – sunstroke, headache, high b16dd-pressure.
6. H AMAMELLIS 30 – bleeding from veins-dark blood.
7. IPECACUANHA 30– nausea vomiting, also for haemorrhages.
8. NUX VOMICA 30- biliousness, constipation, dysentery.
9. PODOPHYLLUM 30 – diarrhoea
10. PHOSPHORUS 30 – haemorrhage with bright red blood.
1. ARNICA OINT } for injuries where skin not broken
2. HYPERICUM OINT }for injuries where skin not broken
3. CALENDULA OINT. – for open wounds.
4. MULLIEN OIL – for earache
5. PLANTAGO MAJ. for toothache
BESIDES THE ABOVE DRUGS THE TWELVE TISSUE WILL ALSO BE USEFUL AS FIRST-AID DRUGS WHEN
|Diseases or Condition||Preventive medicine|
|Chicken Pox||Ant.tart and Malandrinum|
|Cholera||Ars.alb and Ver.alb.|
|Whooping Cough||Drosera, Pertussin|
|Mumps||Pilocarpine and Parotidinum|
|Poliomyelitis||Lathyrus Sativus and Plumbum|
|Small Pox||Variolinum and Malandrinum|
|Typhoid||Baptisia Q, Typhoidinum|
|Vaccination Ill effects||Thuja|
END OF QUOTE
You must admit that this is impressive. Imagine someone reading this – is it not understandable that consumers try homeopathy?
If this website were an exception or an extreme case – but it is not! Information like this is available on the Internet and elsewhere a million times over. And there is no doubt that such information is a risk factor for public health.
What is needed is factual information presented such that consumers can understand it. In my view, this would be an important contribution to public health – so important, in fact, that I have just published a book with exactly this aim. I hope that many consumers will learn about it.